* 1. Lower total daily purine intake to 100 to 150 milligrams. Some foods contain as much as 1000 milligrams of purines. Avoid foods high in purines such as :
- meat extracts,
- sweetbreads, and
2. Eat sparingly foods that are moderately high in purine. These include:
- chicken soup,
- spinach are moderately high in the substance.
* 3. Avoid :
- artificial sweeteners,
- carbonated drinks,
- white-flour pastries and cakes,
- brown sugar,
- jams and jellies,
- white rice,
- salt and
* 4. Maintain a healthy weight. Research suggests that obesity increases purine levels, and that losing weight may help reduce uric acid levels.